The curriculum requires students to complete 13 credit hours of elective courses before they can continue to their fourth year. Because classroom elective courses may have limited seating; students may choose to take up to a maximum of 8 hours of 380/390 Independent Study Courses to count towards the elective total.
380 - Independent Study: Research
- One to three credit hours course
- Minimum GPA requirement: 2.5
- Maximum Number Hours within one Department: 6
- Maximum Number Hours allowed: 8 (only if no 390 courses are taken)
390 - Independent Study: Special Projects
- One to two credit hours course
- No minimum GPA requirement
- Maximum Number Hours allowed: 4
Students intending to take 380 or 390 courses must follow the instructions outlined below:
- Choose a topic and instructor to oversee your project. Refer to the Potential 380/390 Topics link below for a list of instructors and their research.
- Meet with instructor to discuss project/method of evaluation and complete the online form linked below.
- Register for course via my.uic.edu. Course reference numbers, CRNs, are listed by the instructor’s department (BPS, PMMP, PMPR, PSOP), not as PHAR courses.